Entry changes and substitutions
The following entry and entry profile changes may be made online between 10am on 9 January and 5pm on 28 February 2018:
- Current entrants:
- Club & Club license number updates (it is essential that Ultra Marathon, as well as Club Members in the Half Marathon update their details to reflect the current year's Club details)
- Qualifiers (Ultra Marathon)
- Recent results for seeding purposes (Half Marathon & Trail Run)
- Personal, medical & contact details
- Release an entry for substitution
- Prospective entrants:
- Create substitution entry, using the voucher number supplied by a withdrawing entrant
- Finalise a Charity entry (the voucher number received must be used to create an official entry)
Seeding updates for both the Half and Ultra Marathon as well as both the Trail Runs are free of charge. Please log into your online profile and update your seeding with the name, date and distance of the race and the time you ran with a website address where we can verify your new time.
Upgrades & Downgrades cannot be facilitated as entries are full.
NO CHANGES whatsoever will be permitted after 28 February 2018.
It is the runner's responsibility to find a replacement / withdrawing runner. Please join the official Substitutions Group on Facebook to find a suitable candidate.
- One can only substitute a runner in the same race (e.g. a South African Half Marathon entrant can only be substituted by a South African resident wanting to run the Half Marathon).
- Once the substitution is done (meaning that somebody has officially taken over your entry), you cannot enter the same distance again.
Swapping of entries from ULTRA to HALF and HALF to ULTRA will not be entertained. An athlete wishing to change distances has two options:
- Forfeit the original entry and fees incurred and withdraw from that race, then enter the other distance through the official substitution process.
- Substitute their original entry to another runner BEFORE entering the other distance through the substitution process.
If you and another runner want to follow the above process, please email the OMTOM entries team (firstname.lastname@example.org) from 16 January 2018 with the details of both parties. The team will advise you further.
The Substitution Process
The official Substitutions process must be followed between 9 January and 28 February 2018.
COST: R165 Substitution Admin Fee PLUS Entry Fee
- Other costs may apply (e.g. the purchase of a RaceTec timing chip, temporary licence fee in the Half Marathon, etc.).
Do not pay the original entrant directly. ALL transactions must be facilitated via the OMTOM entry system and Webtickets.
The Entered Runner (withdrawing & to be substituted)
- Log into your OMTOM profile.
- Click the "Applications & Entries" tab on the left of your profile dashboard, where you will be taken to your current entry summary.
- Click the "substitute" button. The voucher number will be displayed as soon as you do this. You will also receive an email with the voucher number and Substitution process details.
- Send this voucher number to your substitute runner.
The New Runner (taking over the entry)
- Log into your OMTOM profile. If you don't have one, create a profile.
- Click the "Applications & Entries" tab on the left of your profile dashboard.
- Click on "New Application", and insert the voucher number in the "Entry Voucher" section on your dashboard (at the top).
- Click on the distance that you are creating a Substitution entry for, and complete your entry.
- The system will prompt you to enter your outstanding (if any) personal and race related information. Please follow these promts to the payment stage, where you will be charged the Substitution fee. You will be directed to the OMTOM Payment Portal on Webtickets, where you can choose to pay online, or with cash at any Pick n Pay. Please select your preferred option, and make your payment. A cash payment option will prompt an email with instructions to you. You cannot make an in-store payment if you didn't specifically choose it.
Refunds, Merchandise & Ownership:
If you purchased a Half Marathon T-shirt, it will remain yours (i.e., it will not be transferred with the entry you release), and can be collected from Race Registration at the OMTOM Expo between 28 and 30 March 2018.
Ultra Marathon and Trail Run T-shirts will be transferred to the runner who takes over your entry and thus cannot be collected by you.
- RaceTec Timing Chips remain the property of the original entrant;
- Parking, Medal Engraving, Temporary Licenses & Hospitality Package purchases will be refunded to the original entrant;
- Donations made to the OMTOM via the Two Oceans Marathon Initiative (TOMI) will remain with TOMI for distribution to our official beneficiaries.
All relevant Substitution Process payments and refunds will be facilitated via Webtickets, our official payment partner. No money may change hands between the withdrawing and substitute runner.
- If nobody takes over your entry it will remain YOUR valid entry, and can be used by you on race day.
- You are not allowed to give your race number to someone else. Allowing another individual to run with your race number (and your entry) is against the OMTOM's rules, and will result in disciplinary action against yourself and the individual running with your number.
- All rules, terms and conditions that apply for the original race entry also apply for runners that substitute.
- Runners that have substituted out of the Half Marathon cannot re-enter the Half Marathon in the same year (i.e. a runner that substituted OUT of the 2018 Half Marathon cannot re-enter the 2018 Half Marathon).
- A runner that entered the Half Marathon via a substitution cannot substitute that entry further (i.e. if you have substituted into the 2018 Half Marathon you cannot substitute out of the 2018 Half Marathon).
- Runners substituting in order to run the Ultra Marathon must have qualified and belong to an athletics club in order to substitute (if entries sell out).
WARNING: FAKE ENTRY SALES, CHARGING EXTRA, SWOPPING & RUNNING WITH SOMEONE'S NUMBER
- Fake entry sales: The OMTOM Half Marathon is oversubscribed. The demand is much higher than the supply. And unfortunately that means that there are unscrupulous individuals who will abuse this by scalping entries – much like concert tickets. We keep an eye on 3rd party reseller sites and request that the ads are removed, but our team also needs to focus on organising the event, logistics and customer care, and cannot spend 100% of their time blocking fake entries. Please do not offer additional money out of desperation for an entry. Do not pay anyone in return for a substitution voucher. Only YOU can help to break the cycle of fake entry sales.
- Charging extra for an entry and/or direct monetary transactions between two parties are prohibited: To eliminate these fraudulant activities, we have moved all substitution-related transactions online. All payments and refunds will be facilitated online via Webstickets, and NO money may change hands directly between parties.
- Swopping entries outside of the Substitution process is prohibited: If you and another runner want to do a distance "swop" (swopping an Ultra entry for a Half entry, or vice versa) please email the OMTOM entries team (email@example.com) from 16 January 2018 and clearly state "Substitution SWOP" in the subject line with the details of both parties. The team will advise you further.
- You may not give your race number to someone else to participate in. Not only does this pose a massive safety risk; it is against our event rules. Running with someone else's number will result in severe disciplinary action (including disqualification and a race ban).
Details for the following year will be officially launched in September 2017.